Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Make It: Hardware Washer Pendants from Creative Juice
An ordinary metal washer becomes a funky piece of jewelry with nothing more than decorative paper and dimensional magic. Materials:
origami or other decorative paper
1 yd. leather cording
large hole punch
1. Make a laser-printer copy of the decorative paper; only a laser-printed image will work with this project, as a laser image will prevent the colors from bleeding when the diamond glaze is applied.
2. Trace the washer on laser-printed paper. Use a craft knife to cut out first the center, then the complete washer.
3. Place the washer smooth side down and glue paper to the rough side using Mod Podge.
4. Apply dimensional magic to the top of the washer; use a wooden skewer to spread the glaze, being careful to cover the entire surface of the washer. Let dry for 24 hours.
5. Cut lacing to desired length, fold in half, feed the folded end through the center of the washer and loop loose ends through the folded end.
6. Feed both ends of the cording through a bead, and slide bead down to the washer.
7. Trim ends of the lacing to fit your neck; attach a jewelry clasp to the ends using flat-nosed pliers.
Posted by Cathie Filian at 8:09 AM