Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Homemade Rosemary Focaccia Recipe
An indulgent delicacy that will really get your mouth watering, focaccia is the perfect compliment to any Italian meal, or a delicious snack on its own.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for flouring the work surface
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1. Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the olive oil to the warm water, and add to yeast mixture along with the egg. Blend with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Beat for 2 additional minutes. Stir in 2 cups of flour slowly while beating. Continue beating until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
2. Knead in 1/2 cup flour on floured surface. Cover dough with a bowl, and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Place dough on a greased baking sheet or pizza pan. Roll out to 12 inch circle, and drizzle with a little olive oil. Smear olive oil on top of the dough and cover with greased and a cloth towel. Place in a warm place for 30 minutes.
4. Uncover dough, and poke holes in it with a spoon handle at 1 inch intervals. Drizzle olive oil on dough, and sprinkle with crushed rosemary.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 17 to 20 minutes. Add additional time in the oven as necessary, until the focaccia is just golden Remove from baking sheet, and cool on rack.
Posted by Cathie Filian at 11:26 AM