Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Altered Hat Boxes
Hold on to your hats! Liquid beads let you turn boring storage boxes into personal expressions of style and flair.
Wood or cardboard hat box
FolkArt Craft Paint
DecoArt Liquid Beadz
Graphite transfer paper
Printed or drawn design
Optional: wrapping paper and spray adhesive
1. Paint the hatbox a base color with acrylic craft paint. Allow the paint to dry.
2. Use a pencil and the transfer paper to trace designs onto the sides and/or top of the hatbox. Layer the design template over the transfer paper, graphite side down, and trace the design with the pencil. Use the palette knife to scoop out Liquid Beadz from their container. Apply to the appropriate part of your design.
3. Continue, filling in the design with various colors of Liquid Beadz. Once the design is complete, set the hatbox aside and allow the Liquid Beadz to dry for 12-24 hours. If the beads are too sparse, apply another layer.
4. Glue on a ribbon pull through the hatbox slot, if there is a slot on your hatbox. Apply a bead of fabric glue to the edge of the hatbox lid and apply ribbon trim.
5. For added polish, line the inside of the hatbox with wrapping paper adhered with spray adhesive.
Posted by Cathie Filian at 8:04 AM