Embellishing Tricks for Plain Dresses
nylon lace trim with a repeated, linked design
6"-8"-wide flat nylon lace
flat-bottomed Swarovski crystals
thread to match the garment
1. Dye the lace according to the directions on the dye package. Allow the lace to dry.
2. Pin the wide lace around the waist of the dress, beginning by folding and pinning it at one side of the zipper. Continue pinning until you reach the other side of the zipper. Cut the lace with enough to turn under. Turn under the end and pin to the other side of the zipper.
3. Hand-stitch the top and bottom edges of the lace to the waist of the dress.
4. To add scattered lace details to dresses or purses, cut links of the lace design.
5. Embellish the lace or other portions of the garment with one crystal at a time. Dot the bottom of the crystal with jewel glue, using a toothpick. Apply to the lace link and allow to dry. Stitch the lace pieces onto the dress or use fabric glue to attach to a purse.