Thursday, June 14, 2012

Stitch This: Appliqued Baby Banner with Polka-dots and Robots

Appliqued Baby Banner

My little sister is 8.5 months pregnant and little tucker will be here before we know it!  I always like sewing a project (or two) for the little ones in the family.  I think it started when my niece, who is starting college this year, was born.  I made her an over the top frilly crib set...it was a little bit country and not rock and roll.

For Tuc, I settled on making him a banner that can hang in his room.  It was easy as pie to stitch.






Let's Make


First, I printed large block letters from my computer that spelled..."Tucker".


Next, I ironed fusible webbing to the back side of the applique fabric.  The fabric is Robot Factory by Robert Kaufman.


Next, I pinned the letters to the fabric with the fusible webbing attached.  (be careful that you place them in the right direction)


 
 Then I cut out the letters.

Next, I made a pattern for the banner shape.  I measured my largest letter and designed my triangle shape to fit the largest letter nicely.   I added 1/2" around the edges for seam allowance.

To find the center of each triangle, I folded them in half an pressed a crease.  I peeled the paper backing off the letters, positioned them in the center and then attached them to the triangles with an iron.

Next, I satin stitched around each letter.  Polka dot fabric is Half Moon by Moda.


Next, I cut a backing fabric from some plain cotton muslin.  Pinned around the sides.


Ready for stitching.

I sewed around the sides (not the top).  I clipped the corner at the point to remove the bulk, turned right-side out and pressed.

Lastly, I lined up my triangles and pinned a long piece of ribbon across the top of the banner.  I sewed in place and trimmed my threads.

Thanks for stopping by!
Cathie

My new products for Mod Podge are available at All Michaels Stores.
Find me at Facebook
Follow at Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and questions. Sometimes it takes me a few days to reply. Have a wonderful day!

Cathie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...