Friday, February 10, 2012

How To: Tie Dye Hearts from 101 Tees


I love hearts!  When I was a teenager, I would doodle them on my notebooks and paper-bag book covers with my Bic pen.  As an adult....I still doodle hearts but now I doodle them with embroidery stitches, sharpies and fabric dye.



When I was designing and writing 101 Tees, I knew I wanted to include a tie dye heart technique.  I first started dyeing hearts when I was in college...my first ones were pretty sad looking.  If it is your first time to dye a heart shape, you may want to test your folding on a scrap piece of knit or an old tee.

This tee was dyed with Rit - Royal Blue.  Love the color...soft and rich at the same time.

What you will need:
A prepared dye bath in a large bowl or bucket
A prewashed and damp light colored t-shirt - 100% cotton
Water-soluble marking pen
Rubber bands






1. Lay the tee flat and fold in half lengthwise, matching sleeve to sleeve.

2. Draw a half heart with the marking pen.

3. Accordion fold around the marked line.  You may need to curve the fabric as you fold.  Wrap the the fold on the marked line with 3 rubber-bands.  Dip into the dye bath.  Allow it to soak until you have reached your desired color.  Rinse the tee until the water runs clear. Hang dry.

ENJOY and Happy Dyeing!
cathie









6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:25 PM

    I don't understand where exactly to place the rubber bands...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like tie n dye,its really the fun idea, how lovely!
    I am a follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please post more pictures to show where the folds and rubber bands should go. I love hearts and do Tye dye with my kids and my daughter and I would love to make these for ourselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:39 PM

    Rubber band photos?? Pretty pls!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and questions. Sometimes it takes me a few days to reply. Have a wonderful day!

Cathie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...