Tuesday, February 14, 2012
DIY: Chalkboard Paint Key Hook
I now have no excuses for forgetting! I am constantly dashing out the door and forgetting something behind so I wanted to make a little chalkboard / key hook that I could hang in my office.
I have been obsessed with chalkboard paint since it became readily available. Chalkboard paint turns almost any surface into a chalkboard. It is very easy to use and is available in tons of different colors. I love the traditional black/slate color for this project.
I whipped it up in just a few hours (including dry time) and I got the seal of approval from my hubby – he promptly hung his motorcycle keys on the hook. I don’t think he saw the pink crackle finish.
Please enjoy this little tutorial and give it a whirl.
Hook and Screws
1. First I painted the edge of the wood plaque with white paint. For this step, I just used one thick coat. Allow to dry.
2. Next, I applied a thick coat of crackle medium over the dry white paint. Dried for 1.5 hours.
3. Next, working in one direction, I applied a coat of black chalkboard paint to the top surface of the plaque. Allow to dry.
4. Working in the opposite direction as step 3 I applied a second coat of chalkboard paint. After it was dry I seasoned the chalkboard as described on the jar of paint. It is different for different brands so check the jar.
5. Next, I painted over the dried crackle finish with pink paint. I like to work quickly and in one direction.
6. I positioned the hook on the side and pre drilled holes.
7. I screwed in the hook with a few twists of a screwdriver.
8. I had some old scrapbooking letters on hand so I choose some letters to spell “MAKE”.
9. I used a mini hammer to attach the letters with decorative nails.
10. Add a picture hanger to the back, hang and chalk a message.
All posts in the BlogHer Winter Home Projects program are 100% editorial content presented by a participating sponsor. Our advertisers do not produce the content. This post is made possible by Home Depot and BlogHer.
Posted by Cathie Filian at 9:00 AM