Friday, May 07, 2010

Tutorial: Fabric Printing with Dishwasher Gel


Fabric Printing with Dishwasher Gel

Did you know that with a few supplies from your kitchen you can create your own printed fabric? All you will need is some cookies cutters and bleach based dish-washing gel. This technique produces a soft vintage look. The process is fast so keep and eye on your bleaching. For large pieces of fabric, you might need to work in stages.

Supplies:
Bleach-based automatic dishwasher gel
Medium hued t-shirt (pre-washed) or fabric
Piece of cardboard or an old magazine
Small dish
Rubber Gloves

Steps:

1.Place the cardboard inside a t-shirt or under the fabric to prevent the dye from penetrating to the other side.

2. Squirt some of the bleach dishwashing gel into the dish.

3. Dip the cookie cutter into the gel and press onto the t-shirt.

4. The bleach will bleed into the fibers as it sets. Allow it to set for 30 minutes, then wash immediately to deactivate the bleach.

13 comments:

  1. Can you tell me what brand of DW gel you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jude,

    It was Cascade brand. This technique is addicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That a really terrific idea. So simple too. I've GOT to try it on something! Must gather scrap fabric~!

    Thanks
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever! I know bleach does some cool things to colored card stock too. It would be great to make some unique scrapbooking paper or paper for cards. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you posted this! I've been wanting to try it since I saw it on the show, and I had wondered what brand of gel you had used. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I've tried designs on denim using laundry bleach pens before, but I'm all for using stencils/cookie cutters over free-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is pretty awesome!!! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty effect. Who knew it could be so easy?! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gonna do this to those ugly fabrics that I always say "Why did I by that". Then they will be ready for a quilt. Fast and FAB. Thank you. Lovin' it

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL I think I've done this on accident many times. Well This is a very cool way w/the cookie cutters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:58 PM

    I wonder what effect this would have on T-shirts if you tie-dyed it, sort of...

    - s

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! This is GENIUS! I did a spray bleach t-shirt but have been trying to figure out how I could "paint" the bleach. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and questions. Sometimes it takes me a few days to reply. Have a wonderful day!

Cathie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...