I have been melted record bowls for years - it was one of our first projects featured on Creative Juice season 1. They are great for candy, keys and even plants. With the holidays just around the corner....you might want to think about making some for your friends. They also make really cute gift baskets.
1 LP vinyl record (70's and 80's albums work best)
Two glass or other oven-safe bowls—one slightly larger than the other
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the smaller of the bowls upside down on a cookie sheet and center the record on top of the bowl.
3. Carefully place the cookie sheet, bowl, and record in the preheated oven. Set a timer for four minutes.
4. After four minutes, check the record. It is done when it is curving and drooping over the shape of the bowl. If it is not done, allow it to remain in the oven for another minute and check again.
5. When ready - wearing the oven mitts, pull the cookie sheet, bowl, and record out of the oven.
6. Place the larger bowl on top of the smaller bowl & melted record. Press down – This forces the melted record into a bowl /planter shape. Flip over, remove smaller bowl and press the record with your fingers for any last minute adjustments.
7. Plant with a favorite flower.