Thursday, April 12, 2012

Creative Juice Re-Craft Book: Tie Dyed Slips


Tie Dyed Slip Dress
click picture for a larger detail pic

Transform a plain slip into a funky and flirty tie dyed creation. The dyed slips can be worn over a pair of leggings or skinny jeans and they look especially cute with a little pearl button cardigan.

Supplies:
A pale-colored nylon or silk slip
Fabric dye
Rubber bands
Rubber gloves
Washing machine
Mild detergent
Sequins or rhinestones
Jewel glue

Steps:
1. Wash the slip to remove any sizing if you are working with a new slip.

2. Saturate the slip with water and wring out any excess water. This will allow the dye to distribute evenly.

3. Lay the slip out and fold the slip up in an accordion fashion.

4. Bind off the slip in 6 sections using rubber bands. Make sure the rubber bands are tight. Where ever the rubber bands are the slip will not dye.


5. Mix dye according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Wearing rubber gloves submerge the slip into the dye bath. Allow the slip to remain in the dye according to manufacturer’s instructions.

6. Rinse the slip until the water runs clear. Remove the rubber bands. Wash the slip in the washing machine with a mild detergent. After washing the slip in the washing machine, you may want to run an empty load with bleach to remove any residual dye.

7. Allow the slip to dry. Use jewel glue to add sequins/rhinestones or other trims and embellishments.

If you like this project then you might like my book - Creative Juice, 45 Re-Crafting Projects. You can get it at Barnes and Noble or Amazon!

9 comments:

  1. Cathie,
    I LOVE this project!!! I watched you and Steve do this one on Creative Juice...So cool. It would be awsome to wear this over jeans with a cardigan...might have to do this :) As always,
    Thanks for all the great ideas.
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! I can't wait to do this and pair it with jeans! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rachel...I can't wait to try this out!!! How were you able to get the lace to stay one color?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! This is one of my favorite projects from Creative Juice. I still have the slip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lace is polyester and the slip is nylon. Basically the lace does not dye because it is poly - I love the two-tone effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool!! I have a nylon cami I haven't worn for years that would be just perfect. I love how you've made the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think its whatever you feel good and confident in that makes you beautiful. When you feel good about yourself people notice...I have a serious obsession with the color blue, and it always makes me feel great when I wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow-zah!! That is a stunning transformation and the color you chose is just lovely. I love the idea of manipulating the dye process by using a garment with different fiber contents. So, so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, I was just searching project ideas...and I am doing this! Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and questions. Sometimes it takes me a few days to reply. Have a wonderful day!

Cathie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...