Monday, March 09, 2009
Store-bought pizza dough (Trader Joe's has a good one)
½ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
flour for kneading
butter for greasing the pan
8 ounces Neufchatel or cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups sliced fruit, such as strawberries, pineapple, kiwis, mango slices
½ cup apple or pineapple juice
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
12” pizza pan
1. Sprinkle flour onto your work surface. Sprinkle the powdered sugar and cinnamon onto the work surface and knead into the purchased pizza dough. Add more flour as necessary when the dough becomes sticky.
2. Lightly butter the pizza pan. Spread dough to the edges of the pan gradually, allowing the gluten in the dough to rest for a few minutes if the dough ball resists going to the edges of the pan. Bake at 425 degrees (or according to the pizza dough packaging) for approximately 15- 20 minutes, until the bottom is golden.
3. Beat 1/3 cup of granulated sugar into the Neufchatel or cream cheese using the hand mixer. Spread the cheese mixture onto the cooked dough.
4. In a small saucepan without heat, blend the lemon juice and cornstarch. Add the apple or pineapple juice. Heat until thickened and transparent.
5. Arrange the fruit on the cheese filling. Spoon the heated juice over the fruit. Cover and chill the pizza for an hour or two before serving.