Tuesday, March 24, 2009
The crunchy cookies are delicious with a cup of hot coffee, tea or coco. You can alter the recipe by adding chocolate chips, bits of toffee, or other nuts. This recipe is as close to no-fail as you can get and perfect for a beginner.
2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 c. slivered un-blanched almonds
2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
Optional: chocolate for drizzling and a double boiler
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Add almonds.
2. In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and lemon zest. Fold the egg mixture into the dry ingredient mixture.
3. Stir until the dough is stiff. Place on a floured surface and split in two. Roll each piece into a log. Long and flat for smaller pieces or short and puff for larger pieces. Place the logs on the baking sheet and flatten them slightly, leaving a couple of inches between them .
4. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Leave the oven on. Slice each log into 1/3" slices diagonally.
5. Place the slices (cut side down) on the baking sheet. Bake for another 10-15 minutes. Cool.
6. Optional: Melt chocolate in a double boiler and use a spoon to drizzle it onto the biscotti.